Search This Blog

Monday, March 29, 2010

Taking tattooing to the next level


Tattoo above was done by: www.amandawachobtattoo.com

I have a great passion for tattoos. I simply love them. I am not sure if that has something to do with me being a designer or with my rebellious personality.

Personally, I only have 3 small tattoos. Each of them have a meaning to me, and any new one I will get will represent small part of me.

For now though, I have two dragons which represent my passion for fantasy, also the beauty of mystical creatures and dragons are my little protectors as I go through my life.

My third tattoo is new. I just got it about month ago. I always wanted to have a tattoo that simply means love. Why?

I guess it's because love is the key thing in my life. Love will always guide my choices, love will always be the most important thing to me. I live for love, because once you have it, that's all you need. Everything else will fall into right place, and you can fight the biggest battles of your life and win or loose, and it won't matter because you have love by your side.

I didn't want to go for heart or anything that could easily be read as "love", so I found a symbol (I love symbols, yet another of my fascinations).
It's a African symbol (Adinkra) "Odo nyera fie kwan", which means "Love does not lose its way home" (Blessing in loving).

Being somebody who lives away from home (ocean away in my case) it goes beyond "love", it's about home, my parents, my existing family and family I will have in the future with a person that I will love.

Little bit of history on Adinkra:
The Adinkra symbols are believed to have their origin from Gyaman, a former kingdom in today’s Côte D’Ivoire. According to an Asante (Ghana) legend Adinkra was the name of a king of the Gyaman (Nana kofi Adinkra). Adinkra was defeated and captured in a battle by the Asantes for having copied the “Golden Stool”, which represents for them absolute power and tribal cohesion. He was finally killed and his territory annexed to the kingdom of Asante.

The tradition had it that Nana Adinkra wore patterned cloth, which was interpreted as a way of expressing his sorrow on being taken to Kumasi the capital of Asante.

The Asante people around the 19th century then took to painting of traditional symbols of the Gyamans onto cloth, a tradition that was well practiced by the latter. Adinkra also means ‘goodbye’ or ‘farewell’ in Twi the language of the Akan ethnic group of which Asante is a part. It has therefore been the tradition of the Akan especially the Asante to wear cloths decorated with Adinkra symbols on important occasions especially at funerals of family relations and friends. This is to signify their sorrow and to bid farewell to the deceased.


Creative inks
Recently I been trying to design another new tattoo.
I'm picky. I have million ideas, and really hard time picking what suits me best. But that's a different story.

Where I was going with this post was to show you a really creative and interesting tattoos, which may blow you away,
or maybe stimulate you and if you happen to plan your own tattoo, perhaps you will push the subject and do something unique, something that doesn't follow the "tattoo standards".

Introducing Amanda, a fantastic tattoo artist from New York City.

Enjoy!

Meet the artist
Artist: Amanda Wachob
Portfolio: www.amandawachobtattoo.com
Located: New York

Question
If you have a tattoo, what is it and why did you get it?
If you are planning tattoo, what is your inspiration?

No comments:

Post a Comment